A/W Couture Faves 2014
Powered by Blogger.

A/W Couture Faves 2014

I was on my holidays during the couture shows so Ive decided to write a post about my favourite pieces
My favorite piece is Giambattista Valli's pyjama top dress with the enormous dip dyed feathered skirts. I love the fifties inspired styling and the play between casual and couture. The floral pieces are so beautiful and a lot more feminine than I expected from this collection
Dior's collection is modern meets historical, the 18th century design of the panniered dress is restructured to create a more modern silhouette that gives the design a lighter feel. The neckline, zip detailing and length of the gown accentuate the feeling of modernity. Raf Simons explains that "the challenge was to bring this attitude of a contemporary reality to something historical bringing easiness to something that could be perceived as theatrical."
Chanel was also inspired by the 18th century by contrasting elaborate embroidery with urchin girl chopped haircuts. The tweed blazers and boyish shorts gives the collection a tougher edge. I read that some of the pieces were even decorated with mini concrete tiles. I think the flip flops are a nice play on last seasons couture trainers. 
It was difficult to pick a favourite dress from Elie Saab's collection because each is elaborate as the next but I couldn't pass on the jewel encrusted princess gown/wedding dress
I love the sheer structured beauty of Ralph and Russo's collection. The slick backed hair and black lipstick gives the traditional couture dress an element of modernity
The silhouettes and structured bodices of Ulyana Sergeenko remind me of WonderWoman's bodysuit which is very very cool
Giorgio Armani Prive dress that reminds me of something Strawberry Switchblade would wear
Who knew biker jackets looked so cool over floor length silk dresses?... Azzaro I guess
Return of the Maison Martin Margiela mask now featuring beautiful silks and an amazing mesh maxi skirt that reminds me of something I had in the nineties
Vionnet's re-imagining of structure, design and the very idea of the couture dress

No comments